Sunday, March 17, 2013

Faking It

I don't want strangers to know that I don't see well. Sometimes I'm forced to tell them - for example, if I'm trying to pay for something and can't see the prompts on the debit machine. Or when I don't want someone to think that my vision affects my judgment. Some people really do equate lack of vision with lack of intelligence. So I often "fake it" so I don't draw attention to myself. Well that little plan bit me in the ass on Friday afternoon when we stopped at an Enroute on the 401; we parked right by the door and there was only one curb to negotiate so I left my mobility cane in the car. It should have been a piece of cake, especially because I could take Stan's arm. But the curb was extra-high and I didn't lift my foot high enough - I fell flat on the cement spectacularly, keys and purse flying, in front of the a "packed house" of onlookers. I'm incredibly lucky that I didn't break anything, including my glasses. However, I can't say that only my pride was wounded because I am bruised and sore - and more than a little angry with myself! To add insult to injury, as I lay on the sidewalk some guy on the other side of the car said, "Nice car" to Stan!

No comments:

Post a Comment